Purpose of Position
Provides semi-skilled labor for maintenance of park and golf course facilities and grounds. Laborer may be assigned at different locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Maintains the mowing and spraying of all grass, maintains the sports fields, golf course and all grounds throughout the park system on a permanent basis assuring for a clean and safe environment for positive public relations.
- Assists in the maintenance of buildings and park grounds of all city-owned park property and golf course including repairs, painting, trail maintenance, plantings and other related work.
- Assists with construction of bridges, shelters and other special projects.
- Applies chemicals to fields, trails, flower beds and golf greens; maintains and aerates fairways and tee boxes at golf course
- Provides for maintenance and cleaning of golf carts, mowers, and equipment.
- Maintains equipment, vehicles, and buildings assuring that they are in good conditions and safe for others to work in and around.
- Locates and repairs leaks in irrigation equipment.
- Operates chain saw to trim and/or remove hazardous trees.
- Removes trash from containers in all the park facilities, golf course and other locations.
- Deep cleans bathroom facilities within park system at least once weekly; service daily.
- Prepares for open/close of waterpark swim season.
- Assists with chemical application and maintenance at the waterpark
- Attendance is an essential function of this position.
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assists with snow removal as needed assuring for availability; Maintains a state of readiness when storms are forecasted.
- Assists other departments as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Represents our City in a courteous, professional and tactful manner.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); twelve months to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other Requirements – Certificates/Licensures
- Valid driver’s license
- Must pass drug screening tests; initial and random
- Must pass physical screening
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience and proficiency with grounds assessment, motor vehicle maintenance, small engine repair, painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, tractor, skid steer and lawn mowers.
- Working knowledge of pesticides and chemical applications.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, as well as procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to carry out duties reliably and predictably.
None, except in the absence of the Grounds & Maintenance Manager. Full-time position will temporarily take on supervisor duties until manager’s return.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; run; climb or balance and stoop, squat, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling up to 50 pounds on occasion. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed more than one third of the time to conditions such moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee may also be exposed to high, precarious places and vibration. The employee may also be exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. This position may be called out 24 hours a day or rotate being scheduled or on call, including weekends and holidays to meet the needs of public facilities available 24/7, especially during the spring-to-fall seasons.
The City of Owensville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.