For more information, contact the department at 573-437-8231 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUSCHMANN PARK - located at 402 South 4th Street, was originally named City Square Park but was re-named in 1980 after the generous and long-time residents George (pictured) and Emma Buschmann. In the 1900's, they donated the (now park) property for the future county courthouse. However, the courthouse was eventually built in Hermann when residents there donated the land and funds for the courthouse to be built. The generous couple also donated the land for Luster Park, the former library (now the EMA Facility) and former City Hall (now the Police Department). A gazebo was constructed through volunteer community efforts and Gasconade County R-2 School - Building Trades Class. The planning committee consisted of Richard and Donna Rousset, Dr. Paul and Louise Baker, Bud and Janet Taylor, Rev. Jim and Doris Dace and Don and Mary Jo Lenauer. The gazebo was dedicated in 1982 in memory of Richard Rousset, Chamber of Commerce President during the construction.
The 2.25 acre park is surrounded by a residential area with bathrooms, basketball court, playground equipment, two (2) pavilions and gazebo that is frequently used for weddings & musical performances.
LUSTER PARK - located at 111 South 2nd Street, was originally named The Railroad Park when created in the early 1900's when George and Emma Buschmann donated the land for the park. In 1988, the park was renamed in honor of the Edward Luster, who "won the now famous horseshoe match" but decided to name the city after his friend and competitor, Francis Owens. The community determined Edward Luster needed some recognition and named this park after him.
In 1847, the two men met for a game of horseshoes that would have a lasting impact on the city. According to legend, Luster defeated Owens in that game of horseshoes and with his victory, Luster gained the privilege of naming the town. Declaring that, "Owensville sounds better than Lusterville," Luster elected to name the town after his defeated foe. Owensville is a name that is shared by two other towns in the United States: Owensville, Ohio and Owensville, Indiana.
The two (2) acre park offers one (1) pavilion, playground equipment and basketball court.
MEMORIAL PARK - located at 712 Parker Drive, is the largest park in the system at approximately 101 acres. The park was developed in the 1940's. The park proudly boasts a campground, water park, 9-hole public golf course, two (2) baseball & softball fields, basketball court, four (4) horseshoe pits, eight (8) pavilions, barbecue grills, playground equipment, restrooms, multi-use trail (1.85 miles) and numerous Gasconade County Fair buildings. The Gasconade County Fair Foundation hosts the fair within Memorial Park each year during the last weekend in July. For fair info, visit http://gasconadecountyfair.com/.
Memorial Park Trail System Map: click to view/print
WINTER PARK - located at 409 Red Oak Road, was developed and dedicated in the mid-1980's after the late Milford (pictured) and Velma (Gottenstroeter) Winter. The couple were lifetime residents of Owensville and generously supported activities and projects in the area. The park was developed through the cooperation of local individuals and groups. Instrumental individuals included Alfred (Dick) Dieckhaus, Peter Lehner, Jeff Schaeperkoetter, Jim Decker, Dr. Paul Baker, Tom Warden and Del Yamnitz.
The one (1) acre park offers two (2) racquetball courts, playground equipment and one (1) pavilion.